Alex Albon has signed a one-year contract extension with Williams to continue driving for the team until the end of the 2027 Formula 1 season.
The British-born Thai driver’s current deal had been set to expire at the end of 2026, but has now secured his future ahead of the sport resuming after its summer break with the Dutch Grand Prix this weekend.
Albon has scored just five points during the opening 11 rounds of the season, with Williams performing well below expectations after the introduction of the new regulations at the start of this year.
Albon said: “Since joining Atlassian Williams F1 Team in 2022, the transformation this team has made is difficult to put into words.
“One tough year doesn’t tell the full picture, and it only gives me more motivation to keep building and pushing together with the factory and our fans to achieve great things.
“Our story is not over yet, so my full focus now is on doing whatever it takes to get us back up the grid.”
The 2027 campaign will be Albon’s sixth season with Williams and his eighth in F1. The 30-year-old became the first driver to bring up 100 races for the team at the final round before the summer break in Hungary, having earlier in the season surpassed Nigel Mansell’s record of 95.
Williams team principal James Vowles said: “I am delighted that Alex and Atlassian Williams F1 Team are continuing our extraordinary journey together.
“Alex has been a leader of this transformation project since day one and we have plenty of unfinished business that we are determined to achieve.
“Alex is one of the best drivers on the grid and knows better than anyone the enormous improvements we have made in recent years – re-signing him shows the belief we both have in the direction we are heading.”
The future of Albon’s team-mate Carlos Sainz remains uncertain with the Spaniard, whose deal expires at the end of 2026, having expressed doubts over whether he wants to continue with Williams amid their ongoing struggles.
The short-term nature of Albon’s deal perhaps reflects reservations of his own about remaining with the team long term, but also that there are no realistic alternatives available to him at the moment.
Albon began his F1 career with Toro Rosso in 2019 before being promoted to drive for Red Bull during the season.
However, after struggling alongside Max Verstappen he was let go at the end of 2020, and ended up without a seat for 2021 before joining Williams the following year.
Albon’s most successful season for Williams came last year when he finished eighth in the world championship, with the team claiming fifth in the constructors’ standings and appearing well placed to push on under the new regulations.
However, that has not materialised, with Williams third from bottom in 2026 on just 11 points despite possessing the Mercedes power unit that has powered the Silver Arrows to a commanding lead at the top of the standings.
The Formula 1 season resumes after the summer break with a Sprint weekend at the Dutch Grand Prix from Friday, with every session live on Sky Sports. Stream Sky Sports with NOW – no contract, cancel anytime


